(1) Sink into maudlin black gloom convinced that the universe is against me.
(2) Rationalize. There must be a reason for all this. It will all work out for the best.
But neither one is working.
(1) is impossible as
- (a) Everyone I love is living and healthy
- (b) I am living and healthy enough
- (c) Though I'm disappointed with my progress in life, I'm employed/fed/housed/educated.
(2) is impossible as
- (a) Nothing happens for a reason.
- (b) Things don't work out on their own, and certainly not for the best.
- (c) Fate doesn't give gifts. Whatever I want I have to fight for.
Of course a select few are made of helium. The other trick is remembering that you're not and won't ever be.